With her piece today about olive oil, Jane Black definitely made us think twice about that bottle of extra-virgin in our pantry.
Whether it’s used to saute, as the basis for a vinaigrette or to finish off a dish with a little drizzle, olive oil shows up in more than 1,000 of the recipes in our Recipe Finder. When you get your hands on fresh, good-quality oil, here are some ways to make it shine:
• Olive Oil Biscuits, a lighter alternative to butter- or shortening-laden varieties.
• Potenza Tomato-Rosemary Focaccia, which gets covered with a liberal dose of olive oil before baking.
• Roast Pear and Fennel Salad, an option for those farmers market pears.
• Shiitake Mushroom Chicken Ravioli, with olive oil going into both the filling and the sauce.
• Walnut-Olive Oil Sponge Cake, a gluten-free and not overly sweet dessert.
What are your favorite uses for olive oil?