The latest in food news, ideas and philosophy, just in time for your lunch break.
* “The cooks at the posh Gordon Ramsay restaurant in The London NYC hotel staged a walkout last weekend — and haven’t been back to work since — after a female chef accused the tough-talking TV chef of turning the eatery into a deep-fried frat house.” (NY Post)
* “But even the most chronic layabout occasionally wants to do something a little special. That usually happens during the holidays, when the dining table becomes a place to gather, rather than just a place to eat. And so for this Easter, I’m proposing a boned leg of lamb, stuffed with greens, feta and pine nuts. It may be a bit complicated to put together, but the payoff is immense.” (LA Times)
* “Diplomatic advisers and former palace employees say the decision not to serve a sit-down meal is driven by protocol, by palace-kitchen logistics and perhaps by concerns about how the public would view royals who feast during a time of lingering economic pain. Factor in the preferences of a lithe bride and groom who don’t appear to lie awake at night worrying that guests will starve, and canapes may be just fine.” (NY Times)
* “The results were significant: Over a six month period, 1,436 women and men sprinkled flavorless ‘Tastant’ crystals on everything they ate, and lost an average of 30.5 pounds; nearly 15 percent of their total body weight.” (How Life Works)
* “With a few pen strokes, the Florida tomato industry went from being one of the most repressive employers in the country (nine cases involving abject slavery in Florida fields have been prosecuted in the past 15 years) to being on the road to becoming the most progressive groups in the fruit and vegetable industry.” (Atlantic Life)
* “As befitting His reputation for showing up at unlikely times (say, oh, after being suffocated to death by crucifixion and buried in a cave with a giant stone blocking the entrance), Jesus also tends to appear to His followers in things like toast and tortillas. Because in addition to having nothing better to do, Jesus is also a foodie.” (Houston Press)
* “White bread is only good for picking up glass or cleaning typewriter keys.” (Slow Food USA)