If your regular ol’ New Year’s celebration lacked gastronomic luster, the beginning of the new lunar year in China — the Year of the Dragon — is an opportunity to redeem yourself. Wine columnist Dave McIntyre steps a little outside his regular territory this week with a profile of chef Peter Chang, who shared two Chinese recipes with us, Dry-Fried Eggplant and Spicy Lamb Chops. Here are some other suggestions from our Recipe Finder:
• Chinese Hot and Sour Soup: Chinese black vinegar provides the authentic tang in this restaurant standard.
• Fun-See Noodles: Fuzzy melons are a starring ingredient.
• Home-Style Tofu: Tofu gets fried in the wok for a crisp exterior.
• Long-Life Noodles: As the name indicates, this dish is reputed to bring a long life to the person eating them.
• Peking Duck: If you thought this was a restaurant-only main course, think again.
• Red Wine-Braised Pork Congee: The Chinese porridge is jazzed up with tender pork.