GALLERY: Click the image to view photos of Paul McCartney's wedding to Nancy Shevell.
Elegant simplicity was the hallmark of Nancy Shevell and Paul McCartney’s wedding this weekend, from the intimate guest list to the understated attire designed by the former Beatle’s daughter, Stella McCartney.
• Shevell wore a knee-length off-white V-neck dress with covered buttons at the bodice and cuffs, bishop sleeves, peep-toe kitten heels and a flower in her hair, with makeup kept to a minimum. (The Cut: “A spokesman for her label called it a ‘simple and understated, off-white dress to the knee’.”)
• Sleeves! Shevell’s dress is more evidence that they are coming back in style after Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge’s royal wedding in the spring. Though strapless dresses are still one of the most popular necklines for weddings, demure looks from across the pond may soon inspire copycats.
• McCartney also outfitted her father and the entire bridal party, down to Paul’s light blue tie, and the pink coat worn by her seven-year-old half-sister Beatrice. Stella and her father have been busy, of late: She showed her spring 2012 collection less than a week ago, and she and her father collaborated on the ballet “Ocean’s Kingdom,” which premiered in New York on Sept. 22.
• According to People, Paul gave his bride “a vintage-style Neil Lane diamond eternity band featuring five carats of square cut diamonds set in platinum. (The singer proposed with a five-plus carat, flawless diamond art deco ring, also from the celebrity jeweler.)”
• Other high-fashion guests: Twiggy, in a lace-accented shift dress; Stella McCartney in a black-and-white floral shift dress; Shevell’s cousin Barbara Walters in a red dress with a gathered neckline.
• But even though the guests’ attire was understated, Ringo Starr may have gone for a look that was too casual: He wore jeans, a T-shirt, a jacket, and sneakers.