Egypt has seen a frightening resurgence of violence against protesters in recent days, leaving 14 people dead. The Washington Post’s Leila Fadel reported Tuesday that at least nine of the dead had been shot.
The military government has sharply refused taking any blame for the unrest, Fadel reported from Cairo on Monday: “Egypt’s military chiefs sought to portray the deadly protests as the work of thugs and hooligans.”
Now, protesters are apparently fighting back against that claim with a series of stark videos in which they recount their experiences in Tahrir Square.
The first video shows a very battered and injured protester who says he approached an officer in a car and then was beaten by two divisions of soldiers. Warning, the injuries are graphic:
In another, a man says he was beaten with batons after officers told him to lie on the ground.
The documentaries are part of a larger effort to record what the protesters say are crimes committed by the military ruling power, the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF).
In the 10 months since Hosni Mubarak stepped down from the presidency, little has changed in the country in the eyes of protesters, who accuse the military government for being an extension of Mubarak’s rule.