A single cigarette butt could be the cause of a pipeline explosion fire in in a slum neighborhood in Nairobi Monday that has left scores of people dead and many more injured.
Local officials said after a large crowd had gathered to recover fuel leaking from the pipe, a cigarette was tossed into the sewer that ignited the gasoline.
As the Washington Post’s Sudarsan Raghavan reports from Nairobi, the death toll is uncertain. The provincial commissioner reports more than 60 dead but the number likely to rise.
Local television showed images of charred bodies and badly burned resident being rushed to the hospital.
Firefighters are still working to control the fire. Watch video of their efforts below, via the Telegraph:
Read the Post’s full story here.