Welcome to BlogPost’s crazy social-news-quiz-on-Twitter experiment, second edition. If you’re working through your lunch, consider feeding your brain. A simple rundown: Take a look at the five questions below and find answers after the jump.
•Question 1:Which Japanese newspaper staff took to hand-printing its articles in the midst of electricity and Internet blackout? (5 points)
• Question 2:Which evangelical pastor made headlines — and drew a lot of criticism — after recently suggesting that hell may be empty — or, at least, just a temporary pit stop on the way to eternal life? (5 points)
• Question 3: A tower went silent at Reagan National Airport as planes were trying to land Wednesday. It’s not the first time such a situation has occurred.What three bits of information do pilots usually give to other pilots when they’re faced with an unresponsive tower operator on an approach and landing? (10 points)
• Question 4: What specific request about her funeral did Elizabeth Taylor’s friends and family heed when the icon was laid to rest Thursday? (5 points)
• Question 5: The 2011 Cherry Blossom Festival starts in Washington tomorrow. Who gifted the first cherry trees to Washington in 1912? (10 points)
• Answer 1:Ishinomaki’s only newspaper, the Ishinomaki Hibi Shimbun, featured articles written by hand with black felt-tip pens on big sheets of white paper.
• Answer 3: In circumstances like the one that occurred at National, pilots get on the control tower radio frequency and relay their position, speed and distance to other pilots.
• Answer 4: Taylor requested that she be late to her own funeral. The ceremony started 15 minutes behind schedule.
• Answer 5: The mayor of Tokyo gifted the first trees to Washington. Test your knowledge with Going Out Guide’s quiz here.
So, how’d you do?TweetWe'll be asking these questions on Twitter and watching for responses. Tell @washingtonpost your score, add a thought about this week's #wpnewsquiz and we'll post some responses back into this blog.
• @APKotter: 1
• @Bayou_lois_lane: 1
• @Cassady2euca: 1
• @Debforfreedom: 1
• @KatieMiller91: 1
• @Ludomaster: 1
• @Miguelrios: 1
• @mabaeyens: 1
• @TillAustin: 1
• @samdman95: 1