wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost2
Posted at 03:53 PM ET, 09/16/2011

Tucson, Ariz., Air Force base under security lockdown


Rows of F-14 Tomcat fighter jets await demolition at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base Monday, June 11, 2007, in Tucson, Ariz. (ROSS D. FRANKLIN - ASSOCIATED PRESS)
An Air Force base near Tucson was under lockdown Friday after a report of a man with a gun caused panic and reports that a person had been shot, the Associated Press reported.

Traffic was reduced to a single point of entry because of the security situation, but no one was shot or hurt, according to the public affairs office at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base.

Base Tech Sgt. Russ Martin said the scare happened after it was reported someone had an object that looked like a weapon. The reports haven’t been confirmed, but a military official said a special agent had spotted an armed individual walking into the base.

The base is located five miles southeast of Tucson, where a gunman gravely wounded Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and killed six people earlier this year.

A fire official said two ambulances were sent to the base, but were not needed.

The Sonoran Science Academy and two elementary schools on the base were also put on lockdown.

“The base is going into crisis action mode,” Martin said. “We’re just locking down the base for the safety and security of the people on Davis-Monthan.”

By  |  03:53 PM ET, 09/16/2011

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company