The university would not provide details of the sexual assaults or the severity of the charges, according to the Diamondback. One of the four students was expelled, and the other three were suspended for a year.
The Diamondback said Statham could not be reached for comment for the Monday article. A university spokesman declined immediate comment to the Post, but said he might have a response at a later time.
A U-Md. journalism class requested the names more than three years ago while working on a project about on-campus sexual assaults. The university refused, citing the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, a federal law that products student records.
Last year, Maryland Attorney General Doug Gansler wrote an opinion stating that the university should release the names, which he said were public information. Last month, the university released the names, after the student journalists paid $300 in processing fees, according to the Diamondback. The names were first broadcast on Thursday by the U-Md. journalism college’s Capital News Service.
You can read the full Diamondback article, here.