Conditions are starting to deteriorate in the mid-Atlantic and will soon in the Northeast, but it’s not too late to make some last minute preparations for your pets.
The Humane Society recommends putting together an emergency plan for your animals.
Here are some top tips:
* Bring pets indoors and provide a comfortable, safe space for them during rain and severe weather;
* Make sure all pets – even those that live indoors – are wearing identification collars;
* Store at least three days worth of extra food and water for your pets and your family;
* Keep pets’ medication, first aid supplies, leash and carrier on-hand;
* Create a list of hotels or shelters that allow pets, especially if you live in an area prone to evacuation or if your home typically loses power; and
* Let family, friends and neighbors know your plan.
Also, as we learned from dog owners during Snowmageddon, having a bathroom plan for dogs can be helpful in case they are stuck inside during severe weather.
Share tips by leaving a comment below.