Most Read: Local

Posted at 05:00 AM ET, 12/13/2012

D.C. area forecast: In the clear until clouds/showers return Saturday night for extended stay

  • Loading CWG tweets...

Live Weather Updates from CWG’s Twitter Feed. Refresh page for latest.

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Sunshine gains control. 49-53. | Tonight: Clear and calm. 24-33. | Tomorrow: Sunny, light breezes. 52-56. | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

TODAY'S DAILY DIGIT

A somewhat subjective rating of the day’s weather, on a scale of 0 to 10


A sunny day gets special grading after the long cloudy string of days even if it is on the cool side. Get the Digit on Twitter | Discuss on Facebook

FORECAST IN DETAIL


Search out those shades, as the sun is back through Saturday and not very high in the sky as solstice approaches in barely a week. Temperatures are reliably in the 50s through the weekend. Clouds and showers move back in by Sunday and linger through much of the next week like in-laws at the holidays! The models are working on a strong storm for next week but still can’t decide on the details so stay tuned.

Temperatures: Latest D.C. area temperature map. See interactive map on our Weather Wall.

Today (Thursday): There are still likely to be clouds on the eastern horizon at sunrise but rest assured a sunny day is on tap. Breezes are light and most of the area makes lower 50s for a fine afternoon high. Confidence: High

Tonight: The stars are free to twinkle in the heavens unimpeded tonight under a moonless sky. Most areas should slip into the mid-to-upper 20s with only downtown settling for lower 30s. Even Reagan National might hit 32, for only the third time this season. Confidence: High

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Friday): Bright blue skies engulf the area yet again. Breezes are gentle and highs in the low-to-mid 50s are welcome for the shoppers and commuters alike. Confidence: High

Tomorrow night: The dark descends quickly despite the clear skies. Temperatures drop under calm conditions with evening readings in the 40s. Lows fall to the upper 20s to lower 30s. Confidence: High

A LOOK AHEAD

Saturday is a great day to get out and get some shopping done or take in some of the festivities without a worry from the weather. Sunshine predominates with just high clouds streaming in by late afternoon. Highs should be respectable mid-50s in most areas. Clouds increase overnight but there’s just a slim chance of spotty showers (20% chance) late. Lows hold up in the upper 30s. Confidence: Medium-High

Sunday puts us firmly back in the cloudy column and scattered but decidedly light showers are slightly more likely (40% chance). Breezes out of the south should counteract the lack of sun and highs in the low-to-mid 50s are expected. The evening remains cloudy and showers are even more likely (60% probability). Lows only reach the low-to-mid 40s. Confidence: Medium-High

Monday steadfastly maintains clouds and with a new disturbance likely to be moving up from the south shower potential by afternoon is back at 60%. Highs only slowly rise but still manage at least mid-50s. Confidence: Medium

By  |  05:00 AM ET, 12/13/2012

Categories:  Forecasts

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company