wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost

The Post Most: Local

Posted at 05:00 AM ET, 01/09/2012

Forecast: Chance of light mix today; then milder before big late week cold front

Noon update: Patchy areas of light snow or flurries have developed around the metro region. This activity may mix with sleet and/or light rain as the afternoon wears on, especially in the southeast suburbs. No accumulation is expected on roads - although a little slush could develop on grassy areas mainly south and southwest of town (where precipitation is steadiest). A little accumulation on grassy areas has been reported around Fredericksburg.

9 a.m. update: Onset time of any precipitation today - which will be light - is pushed back until this afternoon. Most likely, predominant precipitation type is rain, but light sleet and/or snow cannot be ruled out, especially north and west suburbs. Again, no sticking due to above freezing air/ground temps.

Today's Daily Digit
 
A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

 
Gray, chilly. Chance of light, nuisance mixed precipitation.
 
Get the 'Digit' on Twitter
EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Chance of light mix. 38-43. | Tonight: Rain, mix ends. Partly cloudy. 29-35. | Tomorrow: Mostly sunny. 50-55. | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Saturday’s 68 seems to have been the peak of this winter’s warmth; we’re on our way back down. Today we struggle to reach 40, with a chance of a little light mix of precipitation (no sticking). But, then, temperatures moderate until a big cold front blasts through the region Thursday, setting up a blustery stretch for Friday and beyond.

Snow Potential Index: 2 (↑) - Maybe some conversational wet flakes today (not sticking), more flurries possible Friday.
 
The SPI is a daily assessment of the potential for accumulating snow for the next week on a 0-10 scale. Get the 'SPI' on Twitter
 

Today (Monday): As a weak area of low pressure scoots by to the south, we may have just enough cold air and moisture to squeeze out some frozen precipitation. Light wet snow, sleet, and/or rain may develop late morning (30-40% chance) and continue intermittently into the afternoon (50-60% chance). Precipitation is most likely to be in the frozen (sleet and/or snow) form during the morning and in the north and west suburbs. However, accumulation is not anticipated with temperatures above freezing. Most spots that start with frozen precipitation transition to light rain during the afternoon. Highs range from the upper 30s north and west to the low 40s to the southeast. Confidence: Low-Medium

Tonight: Any rain, except sleet and/or wet snow well north and west, gradually ends (before midnight). Skies then partially clear with lows 30-36 (suburbs-city) Confidence: Medium

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend.

Tomorrow (Tuesday): Here we go again with another warm-up. High pressure builds in bringing sunny skies and maximum temperatures into the low-to-mid 50s. Winds are light from the west. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow night: Clear and crisp, with lows ranging from the upper 20s in the colder suburbs to the mid-to-upper 30s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Wednesday: Clouds steadily increase with better than even chances of rain developing during the afternoon. Flow from the south helps temperatures rise into the low-to-mid 50s. Rain, heavy at times, is very likely Wednesday night, with temperatures not falling off much - and lows only around 50. Confidence: Medium-High

Thursday: A good amount of clearing should occur during the morning as low pressure races to the northeast. A cold front comes through, but we may get a pre-frontal push of mild air before temperatures start to tumble. So I wouldn’t be surprised if temps briefly spike to around 60 along with breezy conditions. Turning much colder Thursday night, with a slight chance of snow flurries late. Lows dip into the 30s. Confidence: Medium

After perhaps some early morning flurries Friday, it’s partly sunny, breezy, and cold, with highs temperatures holding in the 30s. Arctic high pressure grips the region over the weekend, with highs just 30-35 Saturday and 35-40 Sunday. Overnights lows range from the mid-teens in the colder suburbs to the low 20s downtown. Confidence: Medium

By  |  05:00 AM ET, 01/09/2012

Categories:  Forecasts

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company