wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost

The Post Most: Local

Posted at 05:00 AM ET, 04/18/2012

Forecast: Clouds keep things cool today; warmer finish to week with potential weekend rain

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly cloudy. 60% chance of light showers. Upper 50s to near 60. | Tonight: 60% chance of light evening showers. Upper 40s to low 50s. | Tomorrow: 30% chance of a.m. shower, then increasing sun. Mid-60s to near 70. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

TODAY'S DAILY DIGIT

A somewhat subjective rating of the day’s weather, on a scale of 0 to 10


Could’ve gone lower for cloudy highs near or short of 60 and possible showers. But our lawns will love any rain they can get, even if light. Get the Digit on Twitter| Discuss on Facebook

FORECAST IN DETAIL


The most frustrating aspect of today’s weather is that mostly cloudy skies keep us rather cool, but likely fail to produce the meaningful rain we need. Still some light showers are possible and are better than nothing. Warmer times return tomorrow followed by a fantastic Friday. The weekend, especially the latter part, features a chance of more significant rainfall.

Today (Wednesday): Our run of spring (at times summer) fever hits a snag today as mostly cloudy skies keep temperatures in check. On the plus side, we do have a 60% chance at occasional light showers, which we badly need. Afternoon highs stall out in the upper 50s to near 60 with light winds from the northeast. Confidence: Medium

Tonight: We hold on to that 60% chance of occasional light showers though evening and possibly into the overnight. Mostly cloudy skies blanket the area as lows edge back to the upper 40s to low 50s. Confidence: Medium

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Thursday): Clouds and a 30% chance of a light shower linger into the early-to-mid morning. But the sun should make an appearance by late morning or early afternoon, helping highs to the mid-60s to near 70. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow night: The evening air is a touch cool but still fairly pleasant as temperatures drop toward 60, on their way to overnight lows in the upper 40s to low 50s under partly cloudy skies. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Friday brings a fantastic end to the work week. Spring fever comes roaring back with partly to mostly sunny skies and highs in the 70s. Light breezes from the south keep things mild Friday night with lows in the 50s to near 60. Confidence: Medium-High

The weekend may start with some sun early Saturday as temps head for highs in the 70s. But clouds likely increase through the day, and a moist flow from the south means a 40% chance of scattered afternoon/evening showers and thunderstorms. Rain chances increase to 60% late Saturday night and 70% Sunday. Mild flow from the south should still get Sunday highs to the mid-60s to low 70s, despite cloudy skies and the potential for an inch or more or rain. Confidence: Low

By  |  05:00 AM ET, 04/18/2012

Categories:  Forecasts

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company