wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost

The Post Most: Local

Posted at 05:00 AM ET, 04/22/2012

Forecast: Gusty Sunday soaker with lingering wind and chill

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Rainy, cold & turning windy. Near 50 to mid-50s. | Tonight: Showers and wind linger. Low 40s. | Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy. 60% chance of showers. Near 50. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

TODAY'S DAILY DIGIT

A somewhat subjective rating of the day’s weather, on a scale of 0 to 10


I know we need the rain and all, but do we need the cold and wind to go along with it? Get the Digit on Twitter| Discuss on Facebook

FORECAST IN DETAIL


A winter-like coastal storm yields big-time rains for us here in mid-spring. Farmers, gardeners, and aqua-holics alike rejoice today as we see our first significant rainfall in quite some time. Along with the rain comes much cooler temperatures with today’s highs 25+ degrees lower than yesterday, and even some snow in the forecast for areas to our west. The chill and shower chances stay with us into the work week.

Today (Sunday): Rain, and lots of it. As a storm works its way up the East Coast, it brings us plenty of moisture. Rain develops from south to north during the early-to-mid morning, with periods of steady rain, heavy at times, lasting through the day. Not a good day to be out and about. Highs only reach near 50 to the mid-50s, made worse by afternoon winds from the north/northwest gusting near or past 30 mph. Confidence: High

Tonight: Moderate to heavy rain continues into the evening with sustained winds around 20-30 mph and gusts near 40 mph possible, especially west of D.C.. The more consistent rains should slack off overnight, but some showers and winds gusts to near 35 mph remain, especially west of town. Overnight lows dip to the low 40s. Confidence: High

Rainfall: Total rainfall amounts look to exceed at least 1” for much of the area, with some of us getting closer to or more than 2”.

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through midweek...

Tomorrow (Monday): While the main storm moves off to our north, an upper-level area of low pressure still provides enough lift in the atmosphere for a 60% chance of occasional showers. Snow showers can’t be ruled out to the west, as close as Loudoun and Fauquier counties! (6 inches or more of snow is possible Sunday night and Monday out in Garrett County in Western Md.) Any showers plus mostly cloudy skies and winds gusting near 35-40 mph make for raw, gray day as highs only reach near 50. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow night: Shower chances diminish and we may even see a few breaks in the clouds. But it’s still quite breezy with chilly lows in the upper 30s to low 40s (suburbs to city). Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Skies stay mostly cloudy on Tuesday as just enough upper-level energy remains to give us a 20-30% chance of a few showers. That means a 60-70% chance that most of us stay dry, but it’s still breezy and only a little warmer as we rebound to the upper 50s for highs. Overnight, look for mostly cloudy skies and lows in the upper 30s to mid-40s. Confidence: Medium

We may squeak out a relatively nice day Wednesday, considering the stretch leading up to it. Shower chances are low, at least until evening, and partly sunny skies should help highs climb to the mid-to-upper 60s. Confidence: Medium

By  |  05:00 AM ET, 04/22/2012

Categories:  Forecasts

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company