Most Read: Local

Posted at 05:00 AM ET, 05/29/2012

Forecast: Mega-mugginess ends by tomorrow; storms later today and tonight

Infographic: How your body beats the heat...


Today: Becoming cloudy, muggy. PM storm risk. 88-92. | Tonight: Storms likely. 65-70.| Tomorrow: Partly to mostly sunny, drier. 85-89. | Get Express Forecast by E-mail


A somewhat subjective rating of the day’s weather, on a scale of 0 to 10

Very muggy, scattered afternoon and evening thunderboomers, and most of us trudge back to work. Get the Digit on Twitter| Discuss on Facebook


Yesterday marked the first day of 2012 that reached 90-degrees, and today could be the second as we persist in a very hot and muggy air mass. Fortunately, relief is quickly on the way with a cold front tonight bringing more thunderstorm chances (as early as this afternoon), lower dew points (tomorrow), and cooler temperatures (by tomorrow night). Another weather system approaches our area by Friday with an effort to disrupt the start of our first June weekend with showers and storms.

Today (Tuesday): Our humid air mass clings to the region today with warm morning low temperatures lifting up toward the upper 80s and low 90s again by midday into early afternoon. We could see periods of sunshine in the morning, but the afternoon into the evening should be mostly cloudy with a building chance of thunderstorms (40% mainly mid-to-late afternoon). A few storms may contain damaging winds and small hail, especially northwest of the District. Winds are from the south at 10-15 mph. Confidence: Medium

Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms likely (60 percent chance), especially before midnight. Locally heavy rain totals over 1” are possible. Winds from the west at 5-10 mph by later at night (locally gusty early around those storms). Lows from 65-70, warmest yet in the city. Confidence: Medium

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Wednesday): Partly to mostly cloudy skies in the morning should give way to partly to mostly sunny skies by afternoon. A 20% chance of a mainly early morning shower is possible. Humidity levels drop through the day such that the forecast highs in the mid-to-upper 80s won’t feel like the humid versions of the past few days. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow night: Mostly clear and cool with much lower humidity. Lows range through the low-to-mid 60s with light winds. Confidence: Medium


Thursday is still our favorite for “best-day-of-week” status with mostly sunny skies, low humidity, and comfortable high temperatures in the upper 70s and low 80s. Partly cloudy Thursday night with lows in the 60s. Confidence: Medium

Friday finds us watching a new weather system approaching our area. A change in the winds introduces a bit more humidity, but nothing like the start of the week. High temperatures reach into the upper 70s and low 80s again. This could be a “split day” with a mostly sunny, decent morning and then a partly to mostly cloudy afternoon into evening. A 40% chance of thunderstorms kicks in by the afternoon. But a likely 60% probability of storms sets up by evening into the overnight hour as low pressure approaches the area. Confidence: Low-Medium

The weekend is also a split story with continued showers/storm chances on Saturday under mostly cloudy skies and then better weather by Sunday. Highs on Saturday are probably in the 70s. Partly cloudy Saturday night with cooler lows in the upper 50s (outer suburbs) to low-to-mid 60s in the city. Sunday is aiming for partly sunny skies, although some guidance suggests lingering showers possible (20% chance at this point). Highs should be in the 70s, which is a treat when the calendar reads June 3rd! Confidence: Low

By  |  05:00 AM ET, 05/29/2012

Categories:  Forecasts

Read what others are saying

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company