wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost2

Most Read: Local

Posted at 05:00 AM ET, 05/09/2012

Forecast: More midweek drops in the rain bucket; sunny heading into weekend

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Partly to mostly cloudy. 30% chance of a.m. showers. 70% chance of p.m. showers, thunder? 70s. | Tonight: 70% chance of evening showers/t’shower. Mid-50s. | Tomorrow: Partly to mostly sunny. Breezy. Upper 60s to near 70. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

TODAY'S DAILY DIGIT

A somewhat subjective rating of the day’s weather, on a scale of 0 to 10


Needed showers may be minimal for much of the day, but look to increase in time for or during the p.m. commute. Get the Digit on Twitter| Discuss on Facebook

FORECAST IN DETAIL


Yesterday’s rainfall amounts were pretty pathetic - less than .10” before a bit more fell last night. Today and tonight bring another chance to work away at the area’s rain deficit, which stands at approximately 5 to 6 inches below normal on the year. Then it’s back to sunnier and rain-free weather tomorrow through at least Saturday. How about Mother’s Day? Should be O.K., but it’s not the slam-dunk nice-day forecast that Saturday is.

Today (Wednesday): We cozy up with a cold front today. That means partly to mostly cloudy skies and shower chances increasing from 30% in the morning, to around 70% late afternoon into evening as low pressure develops along the front. We might hear some isolated thunder during the late afternoon into evening as well. I hesitate to get any more specific than 70s for highs, with cloud cover and shower coverage determining how high into the 70s we rise. Confidence: Medium








What is the Storm Threat Level?

Tonight: A 70% chance of showers, maybe some thunder, continues into the evening. Afternoon/evening rainfall could approach or surpass a half-inch (11:20 a.m. update: Looking more like less than 0.5” and maybe less than 0.25”). Any showers should exit to the east/northeast later in the evening or overnight, with clearing skies toward morning and lows in the mid-50s. Confidence: Medium

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Thursday): Partly to mostly sunny skies are a nice change of pace from recent cloudiness. But winds are something of a nuisance at 15-25 mph from the northwest, with gusts near 30 mph. Highs should reach the upper 60s to near 70, but feel cooler with the wind. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow night: Skies are mostly clear with a lingering but diminishing breeze. Lows dip back to the mid-40s to low 50s - that’s right on the average for this time of year. Confidence: High

A LOOK AHEAD

Friday and Saturday offer a fantastic end to the work week and beginning to the weekend. Both days likely feature mostly sunny skies, with highs from near 70 to the low 70s on Friday, and at least the mid-70s on Saturday. The nights are nice, too, with Friday night lows in the upper 40s to low 50s and Saturday night lows mainly in the 50s. Confidence: Medium-High

Mother’s Day looks O.K. for now with pleasant highs in the 70s. But I’m not ready to give the “all clear,” as an approaching front threatens increasing clouds and potentially a chance of mainly afternoon/evening showers if the front makes quick progress across the Midwest and toward the East Coast. Confidence: Low-Medium

By  |  05:00 AM ET, 05/09/2012

Categories:  Forecasts

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company