wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost2

Most Read: Local

Posted at 05:00 AM ET, 11/15/2011

Forecast: Showers arrive today; dry and cooler by Thursday

Today's Daily Digit
 
A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

 
Cloudy with mainly afternoon showers, but I can't knock it too hard with warmer-than-normal weather!
 
Get the 'Digit' on Twitter
EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Cloudy, mainly p.m. showers. 62-66. | Tonight: More showers. 50-54. | Tomorrow: Rain, heavy at times. 61-65. | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

After some beautiful late autumn weather, we now face a couple of sloppy days as a cold front takes its time traveling through the area. The sun should be mostly elusive today and tomorrow, but the one bit of good news is that temperatures should remain above normal with highs in the 60s. A big push of Canadian air clears our skies on Thursday and Friday, but unfortunately, high temperatures will struggle to even meet our low temperatures for today and tomorrow. Warming returns this weekend, but there is a risk of showers by Sunday.

Today (Tuesday): Mostly cloudy skies shroud the day, keeping high temperatures down in the low-to-mid 60s as a cold front very slowly approaches our area from the west. Showers are possible (30% chance) in the morning and more likely in the afternoon (70% likelihood). Totals for the day should be on the lighter side, but some spots could see .1” to .25”. Winds are light and variable. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: More clouds and more showers (60% likelihood). But temperatures stay mild with low-to-mid 50s expected. Winds should come from the south and southeast at 5-10 mph. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Wednesday): Cloudy skies dominate along with higher probabilities of rain (80%). According to the latest guidance, the afternoon into evening has the best chance for any heavier downpours (and we could even see an embedded thunderstorm ahead of the cold front late afternoon into early evening). Highs are again in the relatively warm low-to-mid 60s. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow night: Evening showers likely (60%) and turning colder overnight with some partial clearing. Lows from 35-45 (suburb-city), but breezy conditions up to 10-20 mph make it feel colder a times. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Thursday tries its best to offset our warm start to the week. With cold Canadian high pressure building strongly into the area, we downshift to below normal temperatures. The upside is dry weather with partly to mostly sunny skies. But don’t forget your coat as temperatures struggle to reach the low 50s, and gusty winds offer an even chillier wind chill effect. Thursday night is most clear and cool-to-cold with lows ranging from the mid-20s to mid-30s (suburb-city). Confidence: Medium

Friday finds more sunshine, but still chilly conditions with highs again in the lower 50s. Lows Friday night range from the upper 20s to middle 30s. Confidence: Medium

The weekend warms our weather gradually with mid-to-upper 50s on Saturday and low 60s on Sunday. Saturday looks like the better day for dry conditions and partly sunny skies. Saturday night sees increasing cloudiness with lows ranging mainly in the low-to-mid 40s. Sunday is trending cloudier with even some shower threats by afternoon or evening (30% chance at this time). If the timing holds off, we might wait until Sunday night or Monday to see those rain chances. Confidence: Low-Medium.

By  |  05:00 AM ET, 11/15/2011

Categories:  Forecasts

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company