wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost

The Post Most: Local

Posted at 05:45 AM ET, 04/05/2011

Forecast: Soggy morning, turning sharply colder


updated at 10:40 a.m.

Showers at times late week

Today's Daily Digit
 
A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

 
The contrast to yesterday makes this morning's messy weather and this afternoon's wind chill even worse.
 
Get the 'Digit' on Twitter
EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: AM showers. PM wind. Colder. 50s. | Tonight: Mostly clear, breezy. 32-39. | Tomorrow: Partly sunny. 62-66. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Apparently it is far too early in this spring to expect more than one nice day in a row around here. After this morning’s clamor, we’re back to the story of cooler weather with brisk wind chills and below normal temperatures. We’ll try to do better tomorrow as temperatures make their way back up through the 60s, and Thursday has a shot at the low 70s. But Friday into the start of the weekend becomes a little murky.


Radar & lightning: Latest regional radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Tuesday): The threat of severe weather is over, as the nasty squall line that produced severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings has zipped on by. However, periodic showers will linger through mid-morning (10:45 a.m. update, showers look to now linger through about noon or 1 p.m.). The problem is that as the weather clears, the winds fail to relent, gusting as high as 30-35 mph from a colder northwesterly direction. That makes falling temperatures from near 60 into the 50s (30 degrees colder this afternoon compared to yesterday) feel even worse. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Clearing skies and calming winds. Temperatures drop back into the 30s again with an attempt at the freezing mark toward outlying suburbs (upper 30s downtown). Confidence: High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Wednesday): A few clouds are around, but the sun is also a frequent visitor as temperatures moderate back to the low-to-mid 60s with light breezes. It’s not 80+, but it’s not bad either. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow night: Partly cloudy and not as cool with lows near 40 in the cooler suburbs to the upper 40s downtown. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Thursday looks like the second best day of the week (following Monday of course!) with highs in the upper 60s to possibly low 70s under partly sunny skies. There is a chance we could see a bit more overcast this day as a warm front attempts to take shape over the area. Thursday night indeed could see more cloud cover with a small chance (30%) of a shower as lows reach down to the 40s to low 50s. Confidence: Low-Medium

Friday does not appear to be the best way to end the week as our winds shift to come from a more easterly direction and a front stalls around the area. This is a magnet for clouds, cooler breezes, and occasional showers. Let’s go with a 60% chance of rain for Friday with highs in the low-to-mid 60s. Friday night could see more showers (40% chance) with lows in the 40s to low 50s. Confidence: Low

The weekend can’t seem to shake the stalled warm front at the start with more scattered showers (40% chance), cloud cover, winds from the east, and temperatures in the 60s on Saturday. Saturday night should see partly cloudy skies with lows in the 40s. Sunday is our best hope to save the weekend as we could finally break free into the “warm sector” to favor highs in the low 70s and partly sunny skies. Cross your fingers. Confidence:Low

By  |  05:45 AM ET, 04/05/2011

Categories:  Forecasts

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company