wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost

The Post Most: Local

Posted at 05:00 AM ET, 08/15/2011

Forecast: Unsettled week, plenty of rain chances

Today's Daily Digit
 
A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

 
Showers & storms around. Most areas could still use the rain - so not a bad thing.
 
Get the 'Digit' on Twitter
EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly cloudy, good chance showers & storms. 80-85. | Tonight: Chance evening showers. 62-68. | Tomorrow: Variably cloudy. Mid-80s. | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Even though Sunday delivered less rain than forecast in some locations, the upcoming week presents several opportunities to make up for it, starting with today. In fact, the only day “in the clear” so to speak may be Wednesday. Otherwise, varying rain chances, seasonable temperatures and fairly persistent high humidity characterize the week ahead.

Today (Monday): The weather system that brought last night’s rain is very slow to exit the region. As a result, shower and thunderstorm chances continue today, with highest odds (60 percent) in the afternoon and somewhat lower chances in the morning (40 percent). When it’s not raining, expect partly to mostly cloudy skies and fairly humid conditions, with highs 80 to 85. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: A few showers/storms may linger into the evening (20-30 percent chance); otherwise, skies partially clear, with lows in the low 60s in the cooler suburbs to the upper 60s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Tuesday): I’m keeping a slight (20%) chance of showers in the forecast, but most activity (if any) should be concentrated east of D.C. For the most part, skies are partly sunny, with highs in the mid-to-upper 80s. Humidity levels are moderate. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow night: Skies clear and the air should more fully dry out as high pressure builds back into the area. Overnight lows range from the upper 50s in the cooler suburbs to the mid-60s dowtown. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Wednesday is probably the nicest day of the week with mostly sunny skies and fairly comfortable humidity levels. Day time highs are in the mid-to-upper 80s with dew points in the 50s. Mostly clear and pleasant Wednesday night, with lows 58-66 (suburbs to city). Confidence: Medium-High

Thursday through Saturday by no means look like washouts, but southerly flow pumps up the moisture and humidity while a frontal system very slowly works into and through the area. The results is partly to mostly cloudy skies each day with showers and thunderstorms possible. The best chance of rain is probably on Friday. Day time highs are in the mid-80s (possibly upper 80s Thursday with enough sun), with overnight lows generally in the 60s to low 70s. Confidence: Medium

We may catch a brief break from rain chances Sunday as weak high pressure tries to build back into the region - but another front won’t be far behind - so showers/storms late in the day can’t be entirely ruled out. Confidence: Low-Medium

By  |  05:00 AM ET, 08/15/2011

Categories:  Forecasts

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company