Most Read: Local

Posted at 05:00 AM ET, 04/11/2011

Forecast: Warm Monday, before murky midweek

Chance of storms late tonight into Tuesday

Today's Daily Digit
 
A somewhat subjective rating of the
day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

 
A grayish start, but an afternoon/evening to die for...
 
Get the 'Digit' on Twitter
EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Becoming partly sunny, breezy, & very warm. 81-86. | Tonight: Showers and storms, late. Mild. 60-65. | Tomorrow: Showers and t’sorms likely. 60s, falling. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Consistency has been hard to find this spring, with few prolonged stretches of dry, warm weather. The typical scenario is that we’re teased with one or two nice days before it transitions to stormy and then colder than average weather. That’s the story again this week with a lovely start before it all comes crashing down tomorrow (we do see a late week recovery, but then the weekend turns sour).

Today (Monday): Look no further for the nicest day of the week if you like warmth. Although many spots get off to a cloudy start, the afternoon looks splendid, with temperatures surging into the low-to-mid 80s. The emergent sun and warmth is complemented by a moderate but soft breeze from the south at 10-15 mph. The record high of 91 (from 1930) at Reagan National is probably safe, but Dulles could make a run at its record of 87 (from 1977) - depending on the amount of sunshine. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: The evening is placid and summerlike, with temperatures mainly in the 70s. After midnight, clouds gradually increase with a line of showers and thunderstorms likely approaching the region between 3 a.m. and dawn. Some of storms along this line may produce damaging winds (30% chance). The chance of rain is 60-70% by dawn west of the beltway, and 30-50% from the beltway and east. Overnight lows are on the mild side, only dropping to 60-65. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Tuesday): Showers and thunderstorms are likely throughout the day, a few of which may produce damaging winds (20% chance) mainly early. Heavy downpours are possible at times, with around 1” of possible (with locally higher/lower amounts). Temperatures start the day in the 60s, but gradually sink into the 50s during the afternoon. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow night: Clouds and showers linger overnight (50-60% chance), but are less widespread than during the day. Lows range from the mid-to-upper 40s. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

An area of upper level low pressure is slow to lift out of the region Wednesday, spelling clouds and a chance of morning showers. Skies may brighten in the afternoon, but don’t count on it. Highs are only in the upper 50s to near 60. Partly cloudy overnight, with lows in the upper 30s to low 40s (downtown). Confidence: Medium

Once we get over the hump into Thursday and Friday, the weather improves. Both days should see a good deal of sunshine, with mid-to-upper 60s for highs Thursday and up to near 70 Friday. Clouds increase Friday night with showers possible. Lows are generally in the 40s, except near 50 downtown Friday night. Confidence: Medium

The weekend doesn’t look terribly promising. Showers are likely Saturday, with highs in the 60s. The rain should cut off by Saturday night into Sunday, but it’s chilly with lows in the 40s and highs only in the 50s.

By  |  05:00 AM ET, 04/11/2011

Categories:  Forecasts

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company