wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost

The Post Most: Local

Posted at 04:24 PM ET, 02/07/2012

PM Update: A raw, snowy Wednesday afternoon and evening likely

For the 15th straight day, temperatures climbed to above normal levels, reaching the mid-50s under delightful sunshine. But that streak most likely ends tomorrow, as a little disturbance zips through the region, offering up a period of light snow - primarily in the afternoon and evening. Accumulations will mostly occur in the colder west and northwest suburbs.

Through Tonight: No weather problems tonight - so, kids, do your homework. Lows range from the upper 20s in the colder suburbs to the mid-30s downtown.

Wednesday: Clouds increase during the morning with a (30%) chance of light snow in the western suburbs during the late morning. Temperatures rise to 35-40 by noon. Snow increases in coverage and intensity during the afternoon (70% chance), but may start as rain, especially south and east of the District. By late afternoon, most places should have snow, with temperatures in the low 30s in the colder suburbs and mid-30s elsewhere.

Snow continues through much of the PM commute before ending between 6 and 10 p.m. from west to east. Temperatures range from 31-34 after the sun sets, raising the possibility of some slick roads, especially in the colder north and west suburbs. Total accumulations range from under 1” in the immediate metro region to up to 2” or so well north and west of town - especially in spots with some elevation.

For more details and our accumulation map, see our detailed midday snow event overview.

** SchoolCast Wednesday for early afternoon dismissals **

(Note: snow will not start early enough to affect schools in the morning)

Frederick, Loudoun, & Fauquier counties:
Everywhere else:

** FedCast Wednesday for early dismissal **

capitol-black.jpgcapitol-gray.jpgcapitol-gray.jpg

See Matt Rogers’ forecast through the weekend. And if you haven’t already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock.

Record warmth last twelve months in our region: According to NOAA, February 2011-January 2012 was the warmest on record in MD, VA, DE, & NJ for that 12 month period. NOAA also reported today that every state in the Lower 48 was warmer than average in January. The month was the 4th warmest on record for the contiguous U.S. and the snow cover was 3rd smallest in the last 46 years.

By  |  04:24 PM ET, 02/07/2012

Categories:  Forecasts

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company