wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost2

Most Read: Local

Posted at 03:34 PM ET, 10/11/2011

PM Update: Cloudy, with rain developing tonight and Wednesday

Despite overcast conditions for the first time in more than a week, with the exception of southern Maryland, rain has mainly held off. And comfortable temperatures in the low 70s have generated few complaints. Rain chances increase as tonight wears on, with the possibility of some steady, heavier rains Wednesday.

Through Tonight: Through 10 p.m. or so, rain chances are fairly low (20-30%) with mainly sprinkles or light showers. After that, rain chances slowly increase to around 70% by dawn with the heaviest activity to the west and southwest. Overnight rain amounts may only total from around just over a trace to a quarter inch. Temperatures are mild, with lows 55-60.

Wednesday: Periods of rain are likely (80-90% chance), possibly moderate to heavy at times, especially west of town. Rainfall totals will probably range from 0.5-1.5” with isolated higher amounts. Some of the highest totals are likely in the western suburbs and especially towards the mountains where 2”+ can’t be ruled out. Clouds and rain hold high temperatures in the mid-to-upper 60s.

See Matt Rogers’ forecast through early next week. And if you haven’t already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Pollen update from Walter Reed: Trees, grasses, and weeds are LOW. Mold spores are MODERATE.

Weather Watchers tonight: Tonight at 6:30 p.m. (please arrive between 6 and 6:15 to sign-in) at the Washington Post building, we are hosting Skywarn Spotter training by the National Weather Service. Close to 300 of you from around the region have already signed up to attend and we can’t wait to meet you. Attendees will gain spotter certification and become Capital Weather Watchers. Walk-ins are welcome but we encourage pre-registration. More information.

By  |  03:34 PM ET, 10/11/2011

Categories:  Forecasts

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company