* Hottest day in hottest summer: Full Forecast *
* Excessive Heat Warning expanded to entire area thru 10 p.m. *
* It's so hot (news story) | Post Local coverage | Heat Tips | UnitedCast *
* Outside now? Radar & more: Weather Wall | Tropical Tracking *
* Consec days 90+: 11; Total 90+: 41 (Apr: 2; May: 3; Jun: 18; Jul: 18) *
Updated at 4 p.m. ...
As of 4 p.m., the temperature at Reagan National (DCA) had already soared to at least 100 degrees, breaking the record high of 96 set in 1987. The heat index has reached close to 110 this afternoon with dew points near 70. This morning's low at DCA appears to have been 81, breaking the prior record high low temp of 78 from 1987.
Baltimore-Washington (BWI) has also set a new record with a high of at least 100 through 4 p.m., besting the previous high of 97 in 1987. At Dulles (IAD), the record of 97 (yep, in 1987) has been outdone with a maximum temperature of 98 so far.
Temperatures will continue to hang around the century mark for the rest of the afternoon with dangerously high heat indices of 105-110. The National Weather Service has expanded the Excessive Heat Warning to cover the entire area through 10 p.m.
How are you dealing with the heat? Comment below...