Most Read: Local

Region reacts to snow: 'Best of' CWG comments

* A chance to dig out: Full Forecast | Next snow chance *
* Report snow totals (view map) | Snow totals from NWS *
* Snowiest winter ever | Watch out for ice dams *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

Over the past week, Capital Weather Gang has received an unprecedented number of comments in response to record-breaking snowfall. While a battle of 'snowlovers vs. snowhaters' ensued in the days leading up to the series of storms, once the flakes hit the pavement, we all realized that we were in for it whether we liked it or not. CWG has a strong team, but our coverage of this week's storms was strengthened even more by our readers and commentators.

Collectively, we were a microcosm of the region's reactions: we laughed; we cried; we panicked; we shared our stories; we gave advice to others in need; and most importantly, we expressed honest thoughts about a winter that will live on in our memories.

Here is a sampling of the "best of" CWG's Snowmageddon and Snoverkill comments. Think I've missed one? Feel free to re-post or paraphrase your favorites in the comments section below.
________

Bravest

Get ready folks, I am prepared to finally venture forth, and stake my claim in Snowmageddon's wrath!
Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 5, 2010 8:33 PM

Most delayed response

At what point do we all cry uncle? ...
Posted by: Vingold | February 4, 2010 7:40 AM

Uncle!
Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 7, 2010 8:05 AM

Earliest onset of cabin fever

Was that really Katie Couric in a bathing suit shoveling my neighbor's driveway...?
Posted by: douglaslbarber | February 5, 2010 9:23 PM

Keep reading for the rest of the "best of" ...

Biggest case of cabin fever

fun evening game for Jersey Shore fans: Watch the news. Every time someone says "situation", take a drink.
IE. "Brenda what's the situation at Dulles"
Drink
(yeah, I am already going stir crazy)
Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 6, 2010 4:55 PM

Biggest weather geek (besides CWG)

Just measured 2.5" of wet snow on the Snow Collection Platform of Science on the back deck...
Posted by: kedzie | February 5, 2010 4:32 PM

Least scientific comment

I ghetto-measured about 27 inches in my backyard here in Laurel, MD....
Posted by: WorfsBabyMama | February 6, 2010 3:29 PM

Best memory

By the way, the best comment ever on these boards came from one of the CWG. During December, one of you guys said "We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
My wife and I laughed about this for the next couple of weeks. Very appropriate! (and a wonderful Jaws reference.)
Posted by: guild370 | February 5, 2010 8:41 PM

Most emotionally stable

All that said, whether we hope for more snow or hope for spring, we are gonna get what we get. It is what it is. Personally, I think it can be a good thing to be forced to handle difficulties and be thrown out of our element for a while. It keeps us thinking and makes us better for the future.
Posted by: amaranthpa | February 7, 2010 10:35 AM

Most emotionally involved

@ dtaylorcftc - WHAT the HECK are you talking about a bust???? Have you actually READ the forecast???? Nothing is "a bust" yet or even off...I mean...what the hell are you expecting the sky to fall down? The snow is REALLY coming down in Reston, VA and these guys have been HONEST and efficient with their forecasts the entire time.
Posted by: parksndc | February 5, 2010 7:38 PM

Most comedic

This isn't 'winter' -- it's the start of a new ice age.
Posted by: smoke111 | February 9, 2010 9:06 AM

Holy Cow...think i just saw the lady on her bike from Wizard of Oz fly by...
Posted by: motherrunner | February 10, 2010 8:47 AM

Ha - guy on weather channel, reporting from DC, says the snow is mounting faster than the national debt. BaDaBing...
Posted by: KPosty | February 10, 2010 9:09 AM

I just woke up 30 minutes ago...in Siberia.
Posted by: truyle | February 10, 2010 9:23 AM

Most trusting of our forecast

Will you still be worried about the bust when you wake up tomorrow with heavy snow/wind and a foot of snow? Relax, everything thing is going exactly as planned.
Posted by: GD1975 | February 5, 2010 6:12 PM

Most personal connection made

@Snowlover2 - thanks for posting those pictures! I recognized the picture of the pool, and if that's from your apartment, we're in the same building. :)
Posted by: oldtowngirl | February 6, 2010 2:35 PM

@oldtowngirl, Yes that was taken from my condo! I was wondering if anyone in my building would be on here and say something :)
Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 6, 2010 2:51 PM

@snowlover2 and @oldtowngirl I'm in the same building too ... I still want to know who built the snowman last night in the courtyard???
Posted by: tidalwave1 | February 6, 2010 2:51 PM

@Snowlover2 @OldTownGirl @TidalWave1: I used to live next door to y'all. I'm around the corner now ...
Posted by: AlexandriaAnna | February 6, 2010 2:57 PM

Most likely to go on a date

@Snowlover2 @OldTownGirl @TidalWave1: I scrolled the messages to see whether there was any new love blossoming ...
Posted by: MikeinDC2 | February 6, 2010 4:09 PM

@MikeinDC2,
No babies for us- I could be wrong, but I think we are all girls- so unless we adopted....
Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 6, 2010 4:14 PM

@snowlover2 I'm a guy!
Posted by: tidalwave1 | February 6, 2010 4:46 PM

First comes love, then comes marriage, then ...

What a perfect morning to have a baby! At least, that's what our neighbor's third child seemed to think ...
Posted by: crcurrie | February 10, 2010 10:16 AM

...We should put a note on our calendars for November, to check on the CWG blog how many Snowmageddon babies there will be...
Posted by: MikeinDC2 | February 6, 2010 4:09 PM

You know it's bad when the chief meteorologist says ...

The conditions outside right now in the metro region are some of the most extreme you will ever see here during winter.
Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 8:07 AM

Most likely to start a revolution

A friend of mine was just told by her employer, Starbucks, that they were all expected to be at work on time tomorrow. How freaking irresponsible is that? Retailers think their right to make a buck is more important than their employees' safety, or the safety of the professionals who might have to risk their lives to rescue them when they get into an accident. I'm outraged.
Posted by: ereshkigal45 | February 5, 2010 6:12 PM

Most likely to become a Buddhist

I was looking forward to a record-breaking blizzard. I just took a nap and I made peace with the fact that even if its a bust (12" or less) - that's ok. Life goes on.
Posted by: Vingold | February 5, 2010 6:02 PM

It's ok, we forgive you.

Okay, after reading all this I regret all of my past snow-hating talk. I am totally jealous I'm not there now...
Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 5, 2010 9:47 PM

Most excited

I am going to pull an all nighter tonight to witness snowfall rates and wind/snowfall rates I might never again see in my lifetime! This is truely a dream come true if it pans out!!!!!
Posted by: snowlover | February 5, 2010 4:19 PM

I was keeping any comments of exuberance over the thought of another snowfall to myself for fear I'd be chastised on this board, but the feeling is there- oh, yes- I just...cannot...help...it!!!! Snow!!!!! (doing a little dance)
Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 9, 2010 4:42 PM

bring on the FEETS AND FEETS OF SNOOOOWWW!!!
Posted by: drmammal | February 9, 2010 5:49 PM

Don't be a downer

I for one am quite disappointed with this storm. A mere 72 inches, and the roof on the cabin has only partially collapsed. The wolves coming down from the mountains don't seem particularly hungry, and their incessant howling is keeping me awake. Sadly, just another DC dusting.
Posted by: h0db | February 6, 2010 7:23 AM

This is so much bull. I'm going drinking.
Posted by: blasmaic | February 5, 2010 4:25 PM

Little did they know ...

Why to you, people of D.C., become so hysterical when the white rain falls down?
It´s only going to last for a few days,
even hours. You empty the shops like it´s Armageddeon?
Posted by: ingunna | February 5, 2010 5:25 PM

"Snowmageddon"--really? Can't we just call it what it is: a snowstorm? Why does the local media feel the need to fuel mass hysteria over some snow? Ridiculous...
Posted by: emcglaughlin | February 5, 2010 11:31 AM

EPIC SNOW STORM = EPIC FAIL. It's 4 pm and we were supposed to have 6 inches of snow already. Nothing sticking so far. FAIL!
Posted by: jamalnasir_2000 | February 5, 2010 4:08 PM

When are you guys going to admit that you blew it big time and this "snowmadeggon" is a complete dud? Nothing is happening in DC
Posted by: dtaylorcftc | February 5, 2010 6:51 PM

Biggest reality checks

Yeah, this is all very cute and funny until power lines start snapping, tree branches falling on power line posts, and people taking care of the elderly, sick and/or infants are stuck without heat and power for days.
Posted by: ElmoL1 | February 5, 2010 7:58 PM

As much as I love snowstorms, I have to say you get a different perspective when you are closed in with a child who is cold and bored and you cannot provide a warm meal...So I guess I will continue to do snowdances but with a healthier appreciation for what might happen---and for the fact that there are many out there who have it so much worse.
Posted by: lilymama | February 7, 2010 8:18 AM

If the kids are out all week, I'll have to cancel my summer vacation. I won't have enough vacation time left.
My neighbor is upset because when her work closes, she simply doesn't get paid. Her husband was laid off and they need the money.
Posted by: 1Reader | February 7, 2010 9:57 AM

Most thoughtful

Good morning all....Since this storm is going to be so bad, please talk with family, friends, neighbors who are elderly to make sure they have everything they will need to make it through this storm or better yet, invite them to stay with you until the storm is over.
Posted by: jcmcgrath1969 | February 4, 2010 6:24 AM

Most honest

it's exciting but getting to be a little worrying at the same time... and I count myself as a Snowptimist!
Posted by: snowpro | February 5, 2010 12:36 PM

Best sound effects

WOOOOOOM WOOOOOOOOOOOOM WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
Posted by: shamuballeno | February 5, 2010 10:58 PM

CRRRAAAACK! Been hearing that periodically today...
What impact will the drop in temps have on the already-heavy tree branches?
Posted by: SWester2010 | February 6, 2010 3:56 PM

... As they like to say on Accuweather - "If you want to see the heaviest snow, you have to be able to smell the rain." Sniff sniff.
Posted by: manatt | February 5, 2010 6:47 PM

What the hell is "Woom?"
Posted by: gjjg4dgd | February 8, 2010 11:11 PM

Most Poetic

Excerpts from Winter Night with apologies to Boris Pasternak
It snowed and snowed, the whole world over,
Snow swept the world from end to end.
All things vanished within
The snowy murk-white, hoary.
It snowed hard throughout the month
Of February, and almost constantly...
Posted by: djm-01 | February 5, 2010 8:12 PM

falling into drifts --
dancing limbs
Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 9:14 PM

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow...
Robert Frost (1923)
Posted by: djm-01 | February 5, 2010 5:23 AM

Most far-out (literally)

I am on one of the last flights out of DCA...Looking out the window I could see it rapidly deteriorating outside, with slush forming on the runway. But, we finally got the green light and I'm now on the flight, above this incredible storm looking down, yet reading about it on the ground in real time. Amazing
Posted by: SteveinAtown | February 5, 2010 5:31 PM

Farthest traveled to avoid the storm

Sorry CWG- no more updated weather reports from me in Glover Park-I SIMPLY COULD NOT FACE THIS STORM-BEING SMOTHERED AGAIN AND STUCK INSIDE-COULD NOT. Instead, I hightailed it out of town to VEGAS BABY! ...
Posted by: Spring_Rain | February 5, 2010 3:48 PM

Most sarcastic

We
are
all
going
to
die!!
[But not from a little snow. Panic is silly.]
Posted by: wahoo2x | February 5, 2010 12:23 PM

Most comforting

wmars, it's like that for everybody now. don't worry it'll cool down soon and it'll stick...
Posted by: snowedin85 | February 5, 2010 12:42 PM

Hungriest

Mother Nature didn't stop me from cranking up the grille on the deck and cooking a New York strip here in Oakton ...
Posted by: MillPond2 | February 5, 2010 8:19 PM

Umm ... Can we come over for leftovers?

What about a steamy plate of arroz y habichuelas y carne guisada with fried ripped plantains, a piña colada with lots of rum, and for dessert a warm dish of flan with lots of caramel and shot of brandy...
Posted by: aediazdeleon | February 5, 2010 3:39 PM

Least likely to have dinner guests

"Donner, Party of two"...
Posted by: wiredog | February 5, 2010 1:41 PM

Most in need of a nutritionist

Time for forward thinking folks to stock up on beer, bourbon and cheez-its, I say.
Posted by: curtmccormick | February 3, 2010 4:46 PM

Best drink names

Snowgarita
Snowtini

Best family-friendly activity

But my kids (and husband) mostly are looking forward to the Snow Cream. Basically it's just 1 cup milk or evaporated milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or other extract) and CLEAN fresh snow. Check out this website if you want to know more: http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~smann/IceCream/Snow/sandy.txt
Posted by: DinaMae | February 5, 2010 11:53 AM

A few practical tips

... Please can someone get the word out to people that are driving with 20" of snow packed on their car roofs to take an extra ten minutes and clean it off. Packed, frozen ice becomes a very dangerous missile in sudden stops and wind. I had a windshield wiper ripped of a car years ago.
Posted by: dibabe | February 9, 2010 7:21 PM

If you have ice dams, look up ice dam socks. .. I made them during last week's storm and they were very helpful at creating a channel for water to flow off the roof.
Posted by: lrw2a | February 7, 2010 11:30 AM

... This time we will grind plenty of coffee in advance. We were without power for 48 hrs ... had to grind coffee beans with a rolling pin. We won't be making that mistake again.
Posted by: littlebs | February 8, 2010 11:13 PM

Most deserving of sympathy

Wish I wasn't so freakin' pregnant I can't enjoy the snow! Baby, stay put this weekend...
Posted by: BuffaloGal78 | February 5, 2010 1:10 PM

I'm having a can of sardines, some Ramen noodles and the last bit of wilted lettuce that was at the bottom of the produce bin. That's all that was left after the storm crows came through. Oh well.
Posted by: WorfsBabyMama | February 5, 2010 1:56 PM

Most panicked

I can't find my snowpants!!!! (please don't tell me they're on the ground). I've wore them only once here in the 8 years I've owned them...How do pants just vanish-poof!- into thin air? I suspect a conspiracy.....
Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 5, 2010 12:19 PM

Say What?

Public Service Announcement: I just spent the past 40 minutes firing my .30-06 at this inbound climate change ... The good news is that I think I winged the bastard, which according to an esteemed panel of IPCC scientists should either increase, decrease, or not affect snowfall amounts depending on your view of climate change and what kind of muffin you ate this morning. The bad news is that I'm running low on ammo and he could be back at any time ... In particular, watch out for any accumulations forming into the proto-sentient "snowman" formations, which must be dispensed with by headshots before they become ambulatory...
Posted by: zippyspeed | February 5, 2010 11:54 AM

To forward to our editor ...

Just another grateful supporter of the Gang ... CWG is my main reason for using washingtonpost.com, and I am so glad you guys are here for us!
Posted by: ChevyChase3 | February 7, 2010 7:50 AM

...I have been glued to this site since I discovered it two weeks ago. 2ndly, Kudos to my Washington Post paper delivery guy (think name is Chris) I was pleasantly surprised to wake up and see not only today's paper but yesterday's paper waiting for me this morning :)

EVERYONE IS WRONG except the Washington Post guys.
So what else is new?
Posted by: ooyah32 | February 5, 2010 5:01 PM

Thanks everyone!

...Darn, you guys are good.
Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 5, 2010 4:04 PM

I have been following the CWG (formerly CAPx) for about 6 years now, and as always they did a fantastic job keeping us informed throughout this storm! Keep up the good work!
Posted by: snowlover | February 7, 2010 8:19 AM

Congrats CWG - Y'all have tried so hard to be conservative and scientific and reserved all week. But I can tell from the way you're writing that you're practically giddy. For a meteorologist this must be akin to the first moon landing. Enjoy!
Posted by: Vingold | February 5, 2010 3:40 PM

Add my kudos to the CWG!! The information provided helps a great deal to the nether regions of Southern Maryland where we often feel neglected ...
Posted by: joann20657 | February 7, 2010 10:00 AM

"CWG rocks" My son wants a Tshirt! You guys make it easier to understand what's coming and how much we need to do to get ready. Thank you so much!
Posted by: motherrunner | February 7, 2010 10:18 AM

... This blog has been a godsend for a single gal who's been snowed in. Never knew weather could be quite so addicting!
Posted by: heatherfeather1 | February 9, 2010 6:34 PM

To add to our 'to do' list

If CWG is considering extending their coverage area I would really appreciate them taking in the Denver area. I love reading this blog...
Posted by: readingj | February 9, 2010 6:43 PM

Hungry for more? Check out the first annual "best of" post from March 4, 2009.

By  |  10:30 AM ET, 02/11/2010