* Winter Storm Warning tonight to 6 a.m. Sun. | Live chat transcript *
* CWG on Facebook & Twitter | E-mail forecast to a friend *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* Tips for traveling in the snow | Snowy Saturday happy hour *
* During storm: Submit photos | Tweet reports to #eastcoaststorm *
Washington D.C.'s greatest December snowfall on record (since the late 1800s) occurred on December 17, 1932 when 12" fell. This storm has the potential to break that long-standing record. I'd place odds at 50/50.
Here are the record December snows for some other regional reporting stations:
Baltimore: 14.1", December 11-12, 1960
Richmond: 17.2", December 22-23, 1908
Baltimore's record is in play (50/50 chance), though it may be a little tougher for Richmond (20% chance) -- because they'll be flirting with the rain/snow line.
Could this storm make it into the top five on record of all time in D.C. (including all months of the year)? I'd give that a 30% chance.
Here are the top five storms:
January 27-28, 1922 ... 28 inches
February 11-13, 1899 ... 20.5 inches
February 18-19, 1979 ... 18.7 inches
January 6-8, 1996 ... 17.1 inches
February 15-18, 2003 ... 16.7 inches
The National Weather Service has a great site which lists the top 15 storms for D.C. and Baltimore. About a 50/50 chance we make it in.