Today’s Daily Digit
A somewhat subjective rating of the days weather, on a scale of 1 to 10.
Today: Partly to mostly sunny. 79-84.
Tonight: Partly cloudy. 55-63.
Tomorrow: Partly to mostly sunny. 83-87
FORECAST IN DETAIL
After experiencing February weather in March, we are now feeling June weather in April as high temperatures continue their “warm-ward” march in the coming days. Today should feel warmer than yesterday and tomorrow should feel even warmer. Showers and storms arrive by Friday with a cooler weekend more typical of early April expected.
Today (Tuesday): Partly to mostly sunny skies dominate again as a big lumbering high pressure area offshore offers tranquil weather and pumps in warm air. Humidity also inches higher, but not to any uncomfortable levels. Highs should range from the upper 70s to low 80s with light winds of 5-10 mph from the west and south. Confidence: High
Tonight: Partly cloudy skies with warm conditions continuing. Lows dip into the cool middle 50s in the outer suburbs to the warmer lower 60s right in the city. Those winds stay light and non-annoying. Confidence: High
For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…
Tomorrow (Wednesday): This should be the warmest day of the week with continued partly to mostly sunny skies, highs in the middle to upper 80s, and light breezes mainly from the southwest. Dew points approach 60-degrees – not quite summertime humidity levels, but it does start to feel a bit more uncomfortable. I believe we stay below record temperature levels in most areas, but Dulles is likely to break its record of only 78 due to its shorter history. Confidence: Medium-High
Tomorrow night: Partly cloudy and warm again with lows from the upper 50s in the outer suburbs to the low-to-mid 60s in the city. Confidence: Medium-High
A LOOK AHEAD
The forecast gets a bit tricky Thursday. We have a big cold front coming from the west that should increase cloud cover by Thursday night, but there is a chance that first a backdoor cold front from the Northeast slides into the area bringing clouds, showers, and cooler conditions faster by Thursday afternoon. This could even split the region, cooling the Baltimore area, while the District remains quite warm. For now, let’s favor mid-to-upper 70s, partly cloudy skies in the afternoon, and a 30% chance of showers, especially north and east. Thursday night is mostly cloudy with lows in the 50s to near 60. Showers and thunderstorms become increasingly likely toward dawn (70% likelihood). Confidence: Low
Friday brings in a big cold front with showers and storms likely in the morning until around midday. We may get enough clearing in the afternoon to still pop into the low 70s behind the front. The cooler air should filter in Friday night under clearing skies as lows drop down into the low-to-mid 40s (maybe some upper 30s farther north and west). Confidence: Low-Medium
The weekend looks partly to mostly sunny with highs mainly in the low 60s. There is the slightest risk of light showers (10-20 percent chance) both days, mainly during the afternoon and early evening hours. Saturday night may see a few clouds with lows in the upper 30s in the outer suburbs to low-mid 40s in the city. Confidence: Medium