PM Update: Chance of storms this evening and Wednesday, muggy; sun emits two X-class flares

Flood watch until late tonight | Extremely heavy rain swamps Prince George’s County | Two dozen homes evacuated in Prince George’s County *


Radar & lightning: Latest D.C. area radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

After this morning’s scattered downpours, the atmosphere is attempting to recharge for another hit or miss round this evening.  Overnight into Wednesday morning, most of us should get a respite from rain chances, but showers and storms are likely to develop yet again Wednesday afternoon.  There’s no escaping the high humidity levels.

Through Tonight: Scattered showers and storms are a possibility (40 percent chance; based on radar coverage, I’ve lowered chances from earlier) – starting first in western areas and moving into the immediate metro area and eastern suburbs between about 5:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.  Heavy downpours, lightning and a strong wind gust or two are possible.  There’s a slight flash flooding risk, especially in areas that were doused earlier today.  Overnight (after dark), rain chances drop to 20-30 percent and some areas may see a bit of fog develop.  Lows are very mild, from the upper 60s in the suburbs to low 70s downtown.  Winds are light.

Tomorrow (Wednesday): With all the humidity, there’s a 20-30 percent chance of showers in the morning, but a much better shot in the afternoon (chances climb to 60-70 percent, highest odds west), when thunderstorms are likely to develop.  Some thunderstorms could be strong to severe, with damaging winds and hail.  Outside of showers and storms, it’s partly sunny with highs in the mid-to-upper 80s.  Light winds from the southeast at 5-10 mph.

See Matt Rogers’ forecast through the weekend. And if you haven’t already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter . For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock.

Pair of intense solar flares unleashed:  Two X-class flares – the strongest kind – shot off the sun in succession today.  “A new sunspot (AR2087) suddenly emerging from behind the sun’s southeastern limb erupted twice, producing an X2.2-flare at 11:42 UT and an X1.5-flare at 12:52,” reports SpaceWeather.com.


An X-class flare unleashed from the sun June 10, 2014 (NASA Solar Dynamics Observatory)

NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center  says the second blast released a coronal mass ejection – or wave of plasma – but directed “mostly away” from our planet.  “A glancing blow to Earth from this event is expected on June 13 but only an outside chance of at most G1 (Minor) Geomagnetic storming is forecast,” SWPC says.   This basically means Earth can expect little effect except perhaps elevated aurora activity at high latitudes.

See some cool movies of the eruptions on Tom Yulsman’s blog at Discover: Two Powerful Flares Erupt from the Sun

Jason is currently the Washington Post’s weather editor. A native Washingtonian, Jason has been a weather enthusiast since age 10.
Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Local
Next Story
Matt Rogers · June 10