“My heart aches and breaks for the lives taken and altered by this unfathomably senseless act,” the actress, who plays Selina Kyle in the film, said of the rampage that occurred early Friday during a midnight screening of Christopher Nolan's final Batman movie. “I am at a loss for words how to express my sorrow. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.”
Hathaway’s statement, released today, follows similar condolences issued Saturday by “Dark Knight Rises” cast members Christian Bale and Gary Oldman.Director Christopher Nolan expressed sorrow late Friday on behalf of the movie’s cast and crew, as noted by Comic Riffs.
“The movie theater is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me,” he said.
Everyone associated with “Dark Knight Rises” has taken a respectful, muted approach to handling the aftermath of the tragedy.
Out of respect for the victims of the shootings, Warner Bros., the studio behind “Dark Knight Rises,” opted not to release or comment on the movie’s box office returns today, as is standard practice at the end of a busy summer movie weekend. In a show of solidarity, other studios followed suit.
Still, that didn’t prevent the figures from getting out into the public domain. The Associated Press, along with several other media outlets, reported that “Dark Knight Rises” earned a projected $160 million over the weekend, suggesting that business was not significantly impacted by the mutiplex murders.
Other stars of “Dark Knight Rises” have thus far remained silent on the subject of the killings. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who plays police officer John Blake and is often vocal online, has neither commented on the tragedy nor tweeted about it from his account.
His Twitter feed fell silent shortly after midnight Friday, before the shootings occurred. At the time, he had been retweeting pictures of excited Batman fans preparing for their first, long-awaited look at “Dark Knight Rises.”