Update to original post, 8:50 p.m.: The Associated Press reports that the bartender allegedly pushed by Cuba Gooding Jr. will not pursue criminal charges in the matter. Ryan Berni, a spokesman for the city of New Orleans, told the AP that “after prosecutors review the evidence, a determination will be made as to whether to dismiss the charges.” It’s unclear whether Gooding will still have to appear in court on Friday, as originally reported below.
Original post, 1:44 p.m.: Cuba Gooding Jr. has been summoned to appear in court on Friday in connection with allegations that he committed municipal battery during an incident earlier this week.
New Orleans police said Tuesday that they had issued a warrant for the Oscar-winner’s arrest following an episode at a Big Easy bar in which Gooding allegedly became agitated by fans attempting to photograph him — then shoved a female bartender.
That warrant has been dropped, something Gooding’s publicist, Nancy Kane, confirmed via e-mail Wednesday. “There is no warrant,” she said. “Mr. Gooding, his representative and the New Orleans authorities met this morning and are moving swiftly to resolve this misunderstanding.”
In its place, however, police say a summons has been issued.
A call to the New Orleans Police Department led to confirmation that Gooding did indeed meet with authorities Wednesday. Frank Robertson, a New Orleans officer, also said the actor — in New Orleans to shoot the film “The Butler” — also said the actor must appear in New Orleans Municipal Court at 9 a.m. Friday to answer questions about the battery charge.
At this stage, the actor formerly known as Rod Tidwell has not been arrested or charged with any crime. If the situation is, as Kane suggests, a misunderstanding, Friday’s court appearance may lead to the matter being dropped.