The Screen Actors Guild Awards were a pretty average (read: dull) affair, with no host to make everyone uneasy, no uncomfortable acceptance speeches (except those “Modern Family” kids) and no Michael Fassbender for George Clooney to make PG-13 rated jokes about.
There was slightly more excitement on the fashion front, where the women of the SAGs delivered looks that wowed, disappointed and maybe raised an eyebrow or two. Here’s a rundown of the 10 best and five worst looks from the SAG Awards red carpet.
Celebritology: Mary Tyler Moore shines at SAGs
Celebritology: SAG Awards 2012: 'The Help' wins big
Honorable mention. Rose Byrne: I’m not going to say I like Byrne’s super sparkly jumpsuit, but I really appreciate the risk.
10. Zoe Saldana: Here’s a risk I can actually get behind. The “Avatar” star looked like a super chic ice queen. I mean that in the best way possible.
Meryl Streep: Okay, Streep’s belt is a little much. But the draping on the gown is just beautiful.
8. Shailene Woodley: This may be a controversial choice, but I thought Woodley’s dress was fresh, youthful and a great color combination. Her hair is another story.
7. Jessica Chastain: “The Help” actress wore a super simple dress enhanced by a bold color.
6. Sofia Vergara: I grow weary of the silhouette Vergara wears to every awards show (tight at hips, flared at bottom, revealing on top). But as a stand-alone look, this raspberry-colored gown is lovely.
Michelle Williams: I’m not a big fan of the matching red dress and shoe combo here. But I like Williams’s lacy sleeves and the unusual cut of her hem. It’s really refreshing to see a non-strapless gown on a younger actress.
4. Octavia Spencer: Like a Greek goddess, Spencer is the picture of elegance.
3. Natalie Portman: After giving birth to her son in June, Portman is back and she looks really wonderful. Is the big ruffle on her chest a little distracting? Sure. But with her petite frame, she can pull it off.
Emma Stone: Sweet and girly, Stone rocked a black mid-calf dress that had a lot of interesting details. And look at those adorable shoes!
1. Viola Davis: Do I need to tell you why this is No. 1? Davis truly ruled the night, on and off the carpet. (She won an acting honor for her role in “The Help.”) The hair, the color, the perfect accessories — I love everything about this look.
Lea Michele: We get it, Lea. You’re sexy. Now put your leg away.
5. Angelina Jolie: Okay, Jolie’s look isn’t so much bad as it is boring. If this were any other actress, I would give it a pass. But we want more from you, Angie!
4. Kaley Cuoco: I’m really having trouble faulting the “Big Bang” star for dressing up like a prom princess because she clearly loves the look. But this gown looks like cotton candy exploded all over it. And her milkmaid braids — a trend at the SAGs — look way too messy.
See more of the SAG red carpet hairstyles in the gallery below:
3. Amber Riley: There is a lot going on with this look from the “Glee” diva, between the lace and the huge bow. None of it works.
2. Busy Philipps: Philipps certainly lived up to her first name with this choice.
1. Kristen Wiig: Is anyone able to move past Wiig’s choker? A nice enough halter dress was absolutely ruined by that gigantic black necklace. I’m dying to know why on Earth the “Bridesmaids” star and co-writer wore this.
What do you think of these fashion picks, Celebritology readers? Disagree away in the comments.