It was already clear that Todd Phillips was planning to make a third “Hangover” movie. But now Warner Bros. has officially confirmed it.
The studio behind the first two comedies about post-hardcore-partying amnesia, “The Hangover” and “The Hangover Part II,” has issued a press release confirming that “The Hangover Part III” will arrive in theaters on May 24, 2013. As previously reported, the key members of the Wolfpack — Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms and Zach Galifianakis — will all star in the third movie, which is billed as the conclusion of a trilogy. (You know, sort of like “The Dark Knight Rises,” but presumably with more nudity and cursing.)
“We’re going to surprise a lot of people with the final chapter we have planned,” Phillips, who will direct and co-write the second sequel, says in the press release. “It will be a fitting conclusion to our three-part opera of mayhem, despair and bad decisions.”
“The Hangover” is an opera? Does this mean that the scene in the first movie where Ken Jeong jumps out of a car trunk naked is, technically, high-brow?
Speaking of Mr. Jeong, the press release does not confirm whether the actor known as Mr. Chow is onboard for the third movie, nor does it indicate whether Justin Bartha — Doug, the groom whose bachelor party in the first movie started this whole mess — is part of the ensemble either.
The studio missive also doesn’t go into any details regarding plot. But Cooper said in a previous interview that he expects the third film to be set in L.A. and to break from the previous (read: recycled for Part II) narrative device of having the guys go to a wedding, party too hard and find themselves in serious peril.
Production is scheduled to begin in September.
Assuming there’s any room for last-minute ideas at this point, what would you suggest as a storyline for the third “Hangover”? Please, share your suggestions by posting a comment. But don’t bother recommending a small part for Mel Gibson. We’ve been down that road before, and it didn’t end well.