- Janelle Monae has found an interesting new circuit. Fresh off her performance at a White House state dinner, the R&B dynamo will be heading to Norway in December to perform at the Nobel Peace Prize Concert. She’ll be joined by the likes of Sugarland, Jill Scott, David Gray and more. Last year’s concert featured a performance by Robyn and our own Chris Richards was there.
- Chris Brown leads this year’s Soul Train Awards nominees. Beyonce and Kanye West also got plenty of nods for the show, which will tape on Nov. 17 and air on Nov. 27.
- The Root has the story of Brian Summers, who grew up idolizing the Temptations and has now become their assistant road manager and co-wrote the liner notes for a 50th anniversary box set that will be released next week.
- Arts Post picks some of the weirdest band names of acts performing at New York’s CMJ Music Festival this week. Wheelchair Sports Camp? Peanut Butter Lovesicle? Yes, these certainly qualify and it seems like things are might be worse than even this past spring’s SXSW crop.
- It’s Howard Homecoming weekend and today is Yardfest, the all day free concert on campus. Follow Chris Richards on Twitter for updates — Young Jeezy, Wale, Raheem DeVaughn and Big Daddy Kane are among those scheduled to perform.
Clicky shuffle: Your random song for Friday morning:
- The Mamas and the Papas, “Go Where You Wanna Go”