- Yesterday’s big news, of course, was R.E.M. calling it quits after more than 30 years together. The band pioneerd a new way to be rock stars.“They invented the college radio circuit,” Rolling Stone’s Anthony DeCurtis, who profiled the band numerous times, told us. “There were so many bands that got lit up by it. All of that is their legacy. Nirvana is part of their legacy and Kurt Cobain would have been the first person to say that.” Today’s Reliable Source column has more.
- As expected, Lady Antebellum dominated the Billboard charts with its new album, “Own the Night.” The country-pop trio sold 347,000 copies and earned its second No. 1 album. Adele continues her year-long stay near the top, checking in at No. 2.
- Wilco was the musical guest on “Letterman” last night and then stuck around to perform for a full hour. You can watch the entire concert online. The band plays at Merriweather Post Pavilion on Sunday.
- Need another massive box set? There’s a Ray Charles one on the way.
Clicky shuffle: Your random song for Thursday morning:
- David Bowie, “Moonage Daydream”