- Questlove said his controversial walk-on music selection for Michele Bachmann was “absolutely not” worth the headache of the uproar after the Roots played a certain Fishbone song on “Late Night With Jimmy Fallon” last week. In the same interview with Pitchfork, the Roots drummer also talks about touring with D’Angelo and how the Richmond R&B recluse’s new album is “97% done.” Hello!
- Your keynote speaker for the 2012 edition of SXSW, Austin’s annual orgy of live music, will be
- Local reggae stalwarts SOJA have signed to Dave Matthews’s ATO record label. The band’s forthcoming disc is called “Strength to Survive” and it’s scheduled to drop on Jan. 31.
- A big reunion announcement was expected to surface at Wednesday’s Grammy nominations special.First there was chatter about Van Halen, followed by speculation about a full-reunion of the Beach Boys . But for unknown reasons, neither materialized. Beach Boys fans are still holding their breath for a 50th anniversary reunion tour that will include Brian Wilson.
- There’s about to be a Hanson-endorsed brand of beer called MmmHops. It will be a real thing that you will actually be able to drink.
- In today’s Weekend section, the fabulous Huntsville, Ala., rap duo G-Side is profiled. There are also album reviews of New Pornographer Kathryn Calder , Afropean soul duo Les Nubians , piano songstress Tori Amos , Americana upstarts the Barr Brothers and Tuareg singer-guitarist Bombino .
- Lots of great music in Washington this weekend, but this show is free: The always interesting DJ/rupture brings his group Nettle to Marrakech Lounge in Adams Morgan tonight, Dec. 2. Watch a performance of Nettle’s 2007 incarnation below.