TODAY, ghoulish Google invites you to pull up an urn;
To beguile, to be-wonder, here’s one dark Doodle to learn:
Seated at left is the man of Letters, Edward Gorey;
As the be-scarfed Doubtful Guest tells the rest of this story...
His practical cats, drawn for Eliot, lounge on the “G”;
E is for Each letter inspired by “Amphigorey.”
Finely wrought lines, in black and white, do justice and the job;
Like feline to string, he spun yarns of the playful macabre.
It’s a thin (pen) line between storybook, and “Gorey-book” fun.
He hatched book plots (and graveyard plots), he cross-hatched raven-black lines;
He drew from Carroll and Lear to twist his “nonsense” valentines.
In the same family as Addams, the fun scared up grim history;
Nine Inch Nails soared on his goth style, backed by industrial boom.
The wrought irony, of course, is that this bearded recluse,
Created art that reached ‘round the globe, like Dickens, or a Seuss.
We couldn’t much see him from his seclusion of Cape Cod;
But we couldn’t look away from his wicked whimsy of odd.
He tickled us to death, with the magic of a dark story;
And now behind the Doodle, you know the rest of the Gorey.
H is for Happy 88th birthday to the late, great Edward Gorey (1925-2000).
TOP 10 GOOGLE DOODLES THAT HONOR VISUAL/MUSICAL ARTISTS:
1. WINSOR McCAY: THE OTHERWORDLY DOODLE
2. LES PAUL: THE PLAYABLE GUITAR
3. MARTHA GRAHAM: THE DANCING DOODLE
4. JOHN LENNON: IMAGINE THIS DOODLE
5. FREDDIE MERCURY: THE MUSIC VIDEO
6. JIM HENSON: THE CLICKABLE MUPPETS
7. CHARLES ADDAMS: THE SPOOKY DOODLE
8. ART CLOKEY: THE “GUMBY DOODLE”
9. MARY BLAIR: THE DISNEY DOODLE
10. DIEGO RIVERA: THE LARGER-THAN-LIFE MURAL