THE MORNING QUICKIE:
From N'awlins to New Jersey, our fave five cartoon-related picks this minute...
5. FAVE POLITICAL CARTOON O' THE DAY: In the wake of the
Supreme Court's recent ruling to remove curbs on corporate donations to political campaigns, Atlanta's Mike Luckovich deftly amends the Constitutional Convention thusly (right down to the Nike swoosh and the Preamble wording "We the Corporations"). Regardless of political preference, one can admire the craft:
Mike Luckovich / Atlanta Journal Constitution / cagle.com
4. FAVE NEWS ITEM: What we have here is a Situation: If "Jersey Shore's" human cartoon characters should be allowed to garner so much publicity, then so should a Jersey Comic-Con. Now, Wizard Entertainment announces that the launch of the New Jersey Comic Con Wizard World Convention. Consider yourself warned, Snookie.
3. FAVE APPLE-RELATED CARTOON: With The Great and Powerful Jobs expected to make a Major Announcement this week (will he bring an iTablet down from Mount Apple?), 'Riffs finds this Fredo & Pid'jin cartoon well-timed in more ways than one.
2. FAVE SENTIMENT, CARTOON DIVISION: Speaking of Mike Luckovich: During an interview, he once told Comic Riffs how he started out early by caricaturing his teachers in grade school. I had to admit that I did the exact same thing. I like to think my student caricatures were always fair and sharply observed, if not kind. Mostly I recall my teachers liking them. Still, this cartoon's simple poignancy (created by the excellent Canadian cartoonist Kate Beaton) hits awful close to home.
1. FAVE SPORTS CARTOON: As a veteran of the gridiron, sports cartoonist Drew Litton is every bit as cagey as Brett Favre. Unlike the mighty Vikes QB, though, Litton successfully delivered one final strike over the weekend. Without resorting to hyperventilating hyberbole, Litton gets his apt point across:
Drew Litton / UFS / cagle.com