IN A SHOWDOWN of stinking-rich playboys who have invented their identities, who would emerge with more swag, if not swagger?
The winner: Tony Stark held off the strong debut of Jay Gatsby, as the rich got richer at the weekend box office.
Robert Downey Jr.’s wealthy playboy helped Disney/Marvel’s “Iron Man 3” gross $72.5-million in its second week in North American theaters, topping Leonardo DiCaprio’s wealthy playboy in Warner Bros.’s “The Great Gatsby,” which bowed in with $51.1-million, according to studio estimates Sunday. Final numbers are expected Monday.
“Iron Man 3” also grossed $89.3-million in foreign markets as it nears $950-million globally after three weeks — setting itself up to pass $1-billion worldwide by early this week.
FUN WITH NUMBERS
“Iron Man 3” is now the No.-21 film ever in global box office, just ahead of “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ($939.9M) and just
behind another Disney property, “The Lion King” ($951.6M). ”IM3” has grossed an amazing $95-million in China alone.
* “Iron Man 3” is poised to exceed the global box-office takes of the first ”Iron Man” ($585.2M) and “Iron Man 2” ($623.9M) combined.
* Having starred in the second-biggest film ever, “Titanic” ($2.185-billion), DiCaprio still has the all-time bragging rights over Downey Jr.’s biggest film, last year’s “The Avengers” ($1.511-billion).
* “Gatsby” is DiCaprio’s second-biggest domestic opening ever, after “Inception”($62.8-million).
* “Gatsby” exceeded expectations to a large degree because it scored a 59-percent turnout among females, according to Variety.
* Relatively, “Gatsby’s” 3-D take was startingly low, accounting for only 33-percent of its haul.
* “Iron Man 3” had the fourth-biggest second weekend ever, trailing only two other superhero films — “The Avengers” and “The Dark Knight” — and “Avatar,” according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.
[BOX OFFICE: ‘Iron Man 3’ rockets to second-biggest debut ever]
[‘IRON MAN 3’: One fanboy’s 6 quick questions and answers]
[QUICK HIT: Robert Downey Jr. Talks Iron Man character ]