To signal the arrival of 2012, Google delivers its annual rite: an "Auld Lang" sign. Google's homepage logo of six partying characters has begun appearing in points around the globe.
And for Google’s recently patented “Doodles,” 2011 was worth celebrating. The California company has had a banner year with its artful logos, which have ranged from the muse of music (Les Paul's guitar and the Freddie Mercury animated video) to interactive nostalgia-plumbing characters (Jim Henson's Muppets and Art Clokey's Gumby) to writers and other artists (Mark Twain's Hannibal and Mary Blair's small World of Disney).
They all, in fact, make Comic Riffs’ list of TOP TWELVE GOOGLE DOODLES OF 2011.
Here are our picks:
1. LES PAUL: THE PLAYABLE GUITAR
2. MARTHA GRAHAM: THE ANIMATION DANCE
3. LUCILLE BALL: CHANNELING THE HIGHLIGHTS
4. FREDDIE MERCURY: THE MUSIC VIDEO
5. JIM HENSON: THE CLICKABLE MUPPETS
6. ART CLOKEY: THE “GUMBY DOODLE”
7. JULES VERNE: DEEP-SEA DOODLE
8. STANISLAW LEM: THE ANIMATED SCI-FI GAME
9. MARY BLAIR: THE DISNEY DOODLE
10. THOMAS EDISON: THE ILLUMINATING DOODLE
11. MARK TWAIN: THE HANNIBAL PANORAMA
12. LOUIS DAGUERRE: THE PHOTOGRAPHIC DOODLE
Happy New Year, Google, and in 2012, may you find new and inventive ways to celebrate our cultural noisemakers.