2 men convicted in ‘08 murder

A D.C. Superior Court jury Monday found two District men guilty of second-degree murder, assault with intent to kill and other charges in connection with a 2008 home invasion that left one man dead and a 5-year-old boy wounded.

After a three-week trial, the jury found Allen Butler, 33 and Steven Lewis, 30, guilty in connection with the Dec. 11, 2008 shooting death of Franklin Johnson, 37, who lived in the 600 block of Kenyon Street NW. Police found Johnson in the home with multiple gunshot wounds. A five-year-old boy, who was also at the home, sustained a gunshot wound to the abdomen and survived.

Prosecutors alleged Butler and Lewis, wearing masks and dressed in black, stormed the house. And when Johnson and a female friend tried to fend off the intruders, the men fired shots into Johnson’s body. One bullet also struck the boy.

Prosecutors used cell-0phone records and were able to link the vehicle used in the shooting to the two men. Also, Butler’s DNA was found on Johnson’s pants.

The jury also found Tawanda Sheffield, 33, guilty of obstruction of justice and one count of perjury for lying to police and a grand jury about Butler’s whereabouts at the time of the home invasion.

The three are scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 9 by Judge William M. Jackson.

Both Butler and Lewis have extensive felony records and were known to D.C. police and prosecutors. After the Monday’s hearing, several homicide detectives celebrated with the prosecutors with hugs and high-fives.

Keith Alexander covers crime, specifically D.C. Superior Court cases for The Washington Post. He has covered dozens of crime stories from Banita Jacks, the Washington woman charged with killing her four daughters, to the murder trial of slain federal intern Chandra Levy.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters