wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost

The Post Most: Local

Crime Scene
Posted at 03:01 PM ET, 05/11/2012

Accused White House shooter faces new charges

Accused White House shooter Oscar Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez, who allegedly opened fire on the executive mansion with a rifle last year, has been charged with two additional offenses, authorities said.


Courtesy of the United States Park Police Oscar Ortega-Hernandez (HO/AFP/GETTY IMAGES)
A 17-count indictment issued in January accused Ortega-Hernandez of an array of crimes, including attempting to assassinate President Obama, which is punishable by up to life in prison. A new indictment by a federal grand jury adds the offenses of “injury to a dwelling” and “placing lives in jeopardy,” each punishable by up to 20 years behind bars, authorities said.

The new charges are applicable in cases in which someone deliberately causes life-threatening damage to an occupied home. Although Obama and his wife were in California on the night of Nov. 11, when Ortega-Hernandez allegedly fired shots at the mansion with an assault rifle, many other people were in the building. None was hurt.

Ortega-Hernandez, 21, of Idaho, is scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court in Washington on July 20 for a status hearing in his case.

By  |  03:01 PM ET, 05/11/2012

Next:

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company