Prosecutors dismiss 2011 assault case against former Redskins Haynesworth following completion of court-ordered diversion program

Albert Haynesworth’s misdemeanor conviction stemming from an incident at the W Hotel in 2011 was dismissed this week after the former Redskins lineman proved that he had completed community service and other requirements.

D.C. Superior Court Judge Truman A. Morrison III wiped the record clean on Monday, after Haynesworth proved he completed more than 160 hours of community service in 18 months and cleared assessments for alcohol use and psychological issues, his attorney A. Scott Bolden said.

Bolden said his client was “pleased to get this behind him” and “move on with his life.” Dropping the conviction was part of Haynesworth’s plea agreement. A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s office said Haynesworth “met the conditions of his deferred sentencing agreement.”

In August, 2011, Haynesworth, 31, entered a no-contest plea to one count of simple assault after allegations that he fondled a waitress as he paid a bill at the W Hotel’s P.O.V. Roof Terrace lounge earlier that year. Prosecutors initially charged Haynesworth with one count of misdemeanor sexual assault, but dropped that charge in exchange for Haynesworth’s plea to the lesser simple assault charge.

Bolden says his client now lives in Florida.

Keith Alexander covers crime, specifically D.C. Superior Court cases for The Washington Post. He has covered dozens of crime stories from Banita Jacks, the Washington woman charged with killing her four daughters, to the murder trial of slain federal intern Chandra Levy.

local

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read

local

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters