wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost

The Post Most: Local

Crime Scene
Posted at 09:13 AM ET, 01/06/2012

Christmas tree catches fire at Brandywine house

A Christmas tree at a Brandywine house caught fire Thursday night, a blaze that quickly spread, injuring one woman and causing major damage to the house, authorities said.

Firefighters were called to the home, in the 1600-block of Ashbox Road just before 9 p.m., according to Prince George’s County fire officials. A woman who had fled the home told authorities that an electrical short ignited the tree and it burst into flames. The woman described it as “exploding,” authorities said.

The woman suffered a minor burn and was treated at the scene, officials said. Another person in the home escaped without injury.

The house sustained major damage and is unhabitable, authorities said.

By  |  09:13 AM ET, 01/06/2012

Next:

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company