The Washington Post

Coolidge High principal surrenders to police

Coolidge High School Principal Thelma Jarrett turned herself in to police Thursday morning after she was accused of punching a woman at a football game in early November, officials said.

Jarrett allegedly punched a 37-year-old woman in the face after Coolidge’s Nov. 2 homecoming football game, according to a police report. Two other suspects allegedly were with Jarrett during the fight, one yelling “get her” and the other kicking the victim, according to the report.

Jarrett surrendered herself on a warrant charging her with misdemeanor simple assault, said Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump.

The principal has been on administrative leave since Nov. 9, as a result of the police investigation, according to school system spokeswoman Melissa Salmanowitz. The two other suspects are Coolidge staff members, both of whom were placed on leave Nov. 13, school system authorities said.

Jarrett took the Coolidge principal job in 2009, replacing L. Nelson Burton. A Coolidge assistant principal, Aubrey Brown, is serving as interim principal while Jarrett is on leave.

This item has been updated.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
Deaf banjo player teaches thousands
Unconventional warfare with a side of ale
It's in the details: Five ways to enhance your kitchen makeover
Play Videos
Drawing as an act of defiance
A fighter pilot helmet with 360 degrees of sky
Border collies: A 'mouse trap' for geese on the National Mall
Play Videos
Bao: The signature dish of San Francisco
This man's job is binge-watching for Netflix
What you need to know about Planned Parenthood
Play Videos
How to save and spend money at college
Pandas, from birth to milk to mom
Europe's migrant crisis, explained