wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost

The Post Most: Local

Crime Scene
Posted at 12:16 PM ET, 02/20/2012

District Heights toddler dies after house fire

A 2-year-old girl rescued from a fire at her District Heights home died Sunday at Children’s Hospital, according to Prince George’s County fire officials.

 The toddler was rescued by firefighters from her family’s two-story duplex on Hil-Mar Drive about 1:45 a.m. Friday, authorities said.

Three adults and a 9-year-old child had already escaped the townhouse before firefighters arrived, but 2-year-old Mariah Kendra Hood remained trapped in a second-flood bedroom, according to fire officials.

 The girl was rescued from the home by firefighters and treated for smoke inhalation before being transported to an area hospital in critical condition, authorities said. She was later transferred to Children’s Hospital.

 Investigators determined that the fire was accidental and due to “unattended cooking” in the home, authorities said. The fire caused about $50,000 in damage to the house, according to fire officials.

By  |  12:16 PM ET, 02/20/2012

Next:

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company