Door-to-door checks on Wednesday following apparent carbon monoxide deaths in Oxon Hill

In the wake of the deaths of five Oxon Hill residents due to apparent carbon monoxide poisoning, firefighters and paramedics will canvass homes in the neighborhood on Wednesday in an effort to keep other residents safe.

The door-to-door checks in the Southlawn community will begin at 9 a.m. at the intersection of Shelby Drive and Dudley Avenue, Prince George’s County fire officials said.


View Photo Gallery: Five people were found dead Tuesday of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in an Oxon Hill home, authorities said.

Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor is expected to join the emergency services workers as they visit homes to test smoke alarms and provide safety information about carbon monoxide.

The deadly, odorless gas is believed to be the culprit in the deaths of five Salvadoran immigrants Tuesday. Authorities believe the gas leaked into the home from “rusted and separated” exhaust pipes on a natural gas furnace.

More information:

Five killed in Oxon Hill home by apparent carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning: What you need to know

local

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read

local

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters