Electrical fire in Alexandria displaces 36

Thirty-six people have been displaced from their homes as the result of an electrical fire early Sunday morning in an apartment complex in the Alexandria area of Fairfax County, fire officials said.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue officials said the two-alarm blaze in the 12-unit building was accidental. The fire started in a second floor apartment at about 3:15 a.m., moved to the attic and burned a hole in the roof of the building in the 7800 block of Belford Drive in the Hybla Valley neighborhood just off Route 1 in Fairfax County.

Firefighters were able to control the fire in about an hour, said Dan Schmidt, a Fairfax County Fire and Rescue spokesman. 

No one was injured in the fire, and residents will not be able to return to the building until electricity is restored, Schmidt said.

Schmidt estimated damages at about $125,000.   

local

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read

local

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters