Firefighters rescue woman, 90, in Bethesda

Montgomery County firefighters rescued a 90-year-old woman from her Bethesda home Thursday after a fire broke out in a garage attached to the home.

The woman remained hospitalized Thursday evening with injuries that are considered non-life threatening. Fire officials credited a smoke alarm and alert neighbors who called 911 with saving her life.

About 5:30 a.m., firefighters were called to the ranch-style house in the 7700 block of Glenmore Spring Way. They arrived to find heavy fire showing from the garage, according to fire officials.

Firefighters found the 90-year-old woman in a back bedroom. The fire was quickly extinguished, according to fire officials. Investigators said the fire started in or around an oil-filled space heater that was plugged into an extension cord in the garage.

Dan Morse covers courts and crime in Montgomery County. He arrived at the paper in 2005, after reporting stops at the Wall Street Journal, Baltimore Sun and Montgomery (Ala.) Advertiser, where he was a Pulitzer Prize finalist. He is the author of The Yoga Store Murder.

local

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read

local

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters