wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost2

Most Read: Local

Crime Scene
Posted at 07:12 PM ET, 01/31/2013

Firefighters rescue woman, 90, in Bethesda

Montgomery County firefighters rescued a 90-year-old woman from her Bethesda home Thursday after a fire broke out in a garage attached to the home.

The woman remained hospitalized Thursday evening with injuries that are considered non-life threatening. Fire officials credited a smoke alarm and alert neighbors who called 911 with saving her life.

About 5:30 a.m., firefighters were called to the ranch-style house in the 7700 block of Glenmore Spring Way. They arrived to find heavy fire showing from the garage, according to fire officials.

Firefighters found the 90-year-old woman in a back bedroom. The fire was quickly extinguished, according to fire officials. Investigators said the fire started in or around an oil-filled space heater that was plugged into an extension cord in the garage.

By  |  07:12 PM ET, 01/31/2013

Next:

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company