wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost

The Post Most: Local

Crime Scene
Posted at 02:37 PM ET, 02/26/2013

Glenarden house fire that killed father, three daughters blamed on refrigerator cord

The house fire that killed a father and his three young daughters in Glenarden last week was sparked by a refrigerator electrical cord that failed, authorities said Tuesday.

Fire officials had said previously that the blaze Thursday morning in the 8600 block of Leslie Avenue was accidental and sparked by some type of electrical appliance, though they had declined to specify that appliance. Mark Brady, a spokesman for the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department, confirmed Tuesday that the refrigerator cord was to blame.

The death toll from the blaze rose to four late Friday night when 11-year-old Daijah Price was pronounced dead at Children’s National Medical Center in the District, authorities said. She was one of four people rescuers had pulled from the burning home. The others — 8-year-old Tania Monae Jeanita Price, 4-year-old Patrice Price and the girls’ father, 36-year-old Darrell T. Price Jr. — were pronounced dead shortly after the blaze, authorities said.

Tania’s twin, 8-year-old Tamia Jonae Jean Price, and the girls’ mother, Teresa Price, 33, escaped the burning home through a window before firefighters arrived, officials have said. The family’s home did not have smoke alarms, officials have said.

By  |  02:37 PM ET, 02/26/2013

Next:

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company