The Washington Post

Grandmother killed in Takoma Park fire

A Takoma Park grandmother died Monday after an early morning fire broke out in her sixth-floor apartment, according to Montgomery County fire officials.

Charlotte Wilson, 56, was found in the bedroom of her apartment on Maple Avenue by firefighters who arrived shortly after the fire started about 2:15 a.m., according to Montgomery County Assistant Fire Chief Scott Graham.

The fire had burned out by the time firefighters found Wilson and Wilson’s granddaughter, who was attempting to help her injured grandmother, Graham said.

Wilson was transported to Washington Hospital Center’s burn unit, where she later died of her injuries, he said.

The fire was apparently started by a cigarette that had either fallen or been discarded into a pile of clothing and towels beside the bed, Graham said.

The cigarette was of the “fire safe” type, Graham said, emphasizing that such cigarettes – while safer than the conventional variety – are still not “fire proof.”

The fire caused only about $1,000 in damage to Wilson’s apartment, Graham said.

Caitlin Gibson is a local news and features writer for The Washington Post.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
Don’t be ‘that’ sports parent | On Parenting
Miss Manners: The technology's changed, but the rules are the same
A flood of refugees from Syria but only a trickle to America
Play Videos
John Lewis, 'Marv the Barb' and the politics of barber shops
Kids share best advice from mom
Using Fitbit to help kids lose weight
Play Videos
This man's job is binge-watching for Netflix
Transgender swimmer now on Harvard men's team
Portland's most important meal of the day
Play Videos
5 ways to raise girls to be leaders
How much can one woman eat?
The signature drink of New Orleans