The man charged with drunken driving and manslaughter in an incident that killed an 8-year-old boy Sunday was ordered held without bail at a hearing Tuesday morning in Alexandria General District Court.
Victor Aldana’s blood alcohol level was .15, about twice the legal limit, at the time of the accident, according to Alexandria Commonwealth’s Attorney S. Randolph Sengel.
When interviewed by officers at the scene, Aldana admitted he had been drinking and failed several field sobriety tests, Sengel said.
Aldana, 22, was driving a 1994 Honda Accord west on Duke Street near I-395 at about 2:30 p.m. when he jumped a curb, traveled across a grass area, and struck two pedestrians on a foot path, authorities said.
Brian Hernandez-Chavez, 8, was walking with his mother when he was killed. His mother suffered a broken pelvis and two broken legs, authorities said.
Aldana’s preliminary hearing is scheduled for 11 a.m. February 13. He is charged with driving without a license, reckless driving, felonious bodily injury as a result of driving while intoxicated, and manslaughter.
The Alexandria public defender’s office was appointed to represent Aldana in the case.
Read more: Local crime coverage